ILS’s Role in Community Development
Throughout our history as an Association, the membership of Independent Living Services of Simcoe County & Area has been actively involved in working with community members, partners, funders/donors and various levels of government to make our communities more welcoming to people with physical disabilities and limitations.
The challenges, opportunities and significant players have changed with time, but the goals of working with these groups has always remained to assist people with physical disabilities to lead dignified, productive and independent lives in the community.
Independent Living Services continues to seek out opportunities for volunteers and staff members to be actively involved in creating inclusive communities that are welcoming to all citizens, regardless of their physical abilities. Here are some of the initiatives that our Association is actively supporting at this stage in our community development:
- Improving Accessibility in the communities across Simcoe County and Muskoka, through:
- Supporting the work of municipalities to incorporate age friendly strategies
- Sharing information to support groups and businesses to make improvements to the accessibility of their buildings and networks.
- Responding to calls for information and advice on new legislation or bylaws to improve accessibility standards in our communities.
- Supporting individuals to understand their rights under government legislation, and to advocate for themselves, their family members or friends to ensure these rights are respected.
- Supporting political leaders, and decision makers to understand the needs and abilities of people with physical disabilities, and how their leadership role in our communities can assist to support the maximum participation of adults with physical disabilities or limitations in our communities.
- Supporting access to needed assistive devices and accessibility improvements for individuals on limited income.